Thursday, July 26, 2012

Secrets Of Adulthood

In waiting for the Internet to take root at my new residence, I have found myself reading a lot. I've always been a bit of a reader, but now more than ever since there is not much else to do.

The book I've been reading is called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. It examines a woman's goals to live at the happiest level of her genetic happiness spectrum. Each month she focuses on a different aspect of happiness, such as: marriage, children, money, etc.

But before diving into her project, she developed The Twelve Commandments of Gretchen, which were twelve of her rules to live by, such as "Be Gretchen." Additionally, she created her Secrets of Adulthood, or things she had picked up over time.

This got me to thinking about what my secrets of adulthood would be. I've been an adult for less than a decade, but that doesn't mean I haven't already picked up some key truths, or what I believe to be key truths in life.

Here are my Secrets of Adulthood:
  • Always have cash.
  • Almost everything is better in retrospect.
  • Sugar and carbs are no way to start the day.
  • No one is as interested as you in your story.
  • Read the whole thing before you sign it.
  • One person will do the bulk of the work in any team.
  • It's okay to say 'No'.
  • You won't remember that great idea in the morning.
  • Most things are both people's fault.
  • You'll run out of gas whenever it is least convenient.
  • Don't skimp on toilet paper, peanut butter, or pickles.
  • You'll never regret working out after the fact.
  • Treat your home like a vacation - see the sites and enjoy what makes it unique.
  • It's okay to ask for a hug.
  • Take consideration with your words, you never know how much they mean to someone else.
  • Do it now, not later.
What are your secrets to adulthood? What advice do you know now that you would you give to your younger self?

And a bonus secret, someone wise once told me that people are more apt to read if there's a picture, so here you go:



Vonnegut is my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment