Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Nightmares Take Flight

So I have been repeatedly badgered by my numerous fans (read: my brother and close friend) about when I was going to write in my blog again. I kept telling them that nothing has really been going on...or possibly nothing I found blog-worthy was happening.

Truth is, a lot has been going on. I started Crossfit and eating Paleo, but honestly, who cares to hear about that? All that needs to be said is I eat my body weight in bacon weekly, and try to embrace the suck while not throwing up during a WOD.

And eating a lot of eggs...from a vending machine. 

That should last a week.

Also, things like this have been occupying our weekends...


Jackson's first trip to the beach as an adult doggie.

They had so much fun.

And, of course, the usual grocery shopping roulette...


Going to miss the hot drinks from vending machines.

The quest for green tea Kit Kats has finally ended.

But the most notable happening has been our accidental discovery of Kabushima...or more commonly known as Seagull Island.

Seagull Island. A whole island. Of birds. My nemesis.

Thanks to a work vacation to Hawaii, I think most of those nearest and dearest to me are aware of my irrational fear of winged creatures. Not even a strong dislike...a pure, crippling fear.

I was aware of Seagull Island before this past weekend, and I knew it was in Hachinohe, a town near our home. However, I did not have the exact location of said island. So when Mark suggested we just drive around Hachinohe until the restaurant opened that we had planned on visiting, I was all in.

It all happened so suddenly. One minute we were searching for the swimming beach, the next we were pulling in to a parking lot covered in bird feces and feathers.

Mark turns to me, grin wider than his pedophile-like mustache. (I HATE Mustache March!) Gears shift to park. Heart palpitation become frequent, almost normal. Mark spots a small, covered booth near the car and gets out. He turns with that same stupid grin on his face, shaking a bag of shrimp chips.


F%$^*!

And then he opened the car door. This is what happened....





And then this movie started filming, starring me.




Mark got in the car and I thought my nightmare was over. False.





And once my heart beat got as close to normal as possible, he sprang this on me.





Keeping to his promise, he got out of the car, after rolling up my window, to feed the birds what was left.


So happy there's glass between us.

I included this one only because Mark's face is hilarious.

Emptying the bag.

Nightmares taking flight.

As for that restaurant, we never found it, so we ended up back in Misawa at the Cake House, a little cafe I've been dying to try. I think I deserved it after that afternoon.


Delicious non-paleo spaghetti. 

Banana tea! It was awesome.

Little cheesecake, fresh strawberries (which taste better in Japan), and homemade ice cream.

The take away lesson from all of this is to keep your fears hidden deep inside of you. Never let your family or friends find out. Because they're all a-holes. Also, sorry about the video quality. YouTube hates the iPhone.

2 comments:

  1. This was awesome! Made my morning. He also deserved a nut punch. -Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will soon be living in Hachinohe. Seagulls in New Jersey were my childhood nemesis, and I'm looking forward to a rematch at Kabushima! I enjoyed reading your blog thank you for sharing your stories.

    ReplyDelete