Sunday, July 14, 2013

It's Been A Year

I've thought about this post a lot, probably more than I should have. So many different things to address...the usual questions that we get any time we move somewhere, what we've done, how we've grown...so let's do it all. I have the time, hopefully you do, too.

So it's been a year. An entire year, since all of our belongings were placed on the slow boat from Alaska to Japan. Seriously was a slow boat; it took about two months.

Everything we own and quite possibly the happiest day of my life.

FOR THE CURIOUS TYPES
I'll start with the Q&A. Non-readers can go ahead a scroll a bit, there will be pictures later...promise.

Q (actually more of a statement): I bet the sushi is really good.

A: It's probably not what you expect. If you haven't done a lot of world traveling, then you are not aware of the fact that the foreign food you eat in the United States is very different in its country of origin. When you think of sushi I'm sure you imagine some of your favorite rolls, fried in tempura, with cream cheese and four kinds of fish. Actual sushi is much more simple than that. It is typically just fish, very fresh I may add, on top of rice. That's it.

This is as complex as Japanese sushi gets.

 Now this whole things operates everywhere. Japanese interpretations of American foods are just as different as ours are of theirs. There is a pizza place that has a pie called the American and is topped with fries and hotdogs. The whole point of all this is, I really miss American sushi, with all the crazy rolls.

Q: Have you seen a ninja?

A: No. I am one. Next question.



Q: Do your dogs (who are Japanese) understand English?

A: I really hope this isn't a serious question. If it is, slap yourself. Though I do think I may teach them Japanese commands just to mess with everyone when we move.


I harf regret not buying this.

 Q: Ohhhhh herrrroooo!

A: Yes, there is that, and it is funny. And don't tell me it's mean, because my Japanese co-workers laugh just as hard when we try to speak their language. For the record, we sound like Chinese tourists.

And the doozy of them all....

Q: How do you like Japan?

A: It's tough, and not for the faint of heart. We live in rural Japan. Many of the conversations I've had in the past year would surprise you. Discussions about flying to Korea to shop. Discussions about the best way to keep your house cool on a 90 degree day with 100% humidity when you don't have air conditioning. Discussions on the best time to go to the grocery store so you have a fighting chance at getting vegetables that aren't rotten. Scouring a Facebook group to find out how to insure your car. Trying to assemble household goods based on pictures alone. Figuring out how to get ready in the morning with only a single bathroom. Trying to communicate with someone who doesn't understand what you're saying.

The hardest part is not being able to read. For the longest time, I would just stare at the characters, hoping they would come together to create a meaning. The only thing I have picked up so far is the symbol for Hachinohe (the nearest city to the south of us) and Misawa. So I guess you could say I have the most important ones memorized.

And if you want to focus on all of that, you could say Misawa sucks, as many people who live here believe.

Or you can take the route I try to travel and see the good. So one of the best things about living here is that every day is an adventure. There's always a hike to go on, a beach to comb for sea glass or sand dollars, a festival of food and culture. Then there's the fact that our neighbors and friends here are amazing. We barbecue frequently - beer, bonfires, and all. And just for a little bit, you forget you're so far away.

And the food! The food is amazing. The Japanese take pride in what they do, so if they own a certain type of restaurant, it is the best. The man who owns the pizza place mentioned above studied in Italy and all of the wine in his restaurant is imported from Italy, with the seal to prove it.

I guess you could say Japan will probably never be home, like Alaska or Nebraska were, but it's a damn good vacation.

FOR THE NON-READERS...
Don't worry, I didn't forget about you. Here's some of my favorite pictures from my favorite places we've been to in the past year.

Shipwreck Beach. Unfortunately, the ships are now gone.

Sunset in Noheji

Lake Towada

Hirosaki Castle in the fall

Lake Towada Snow Festival. The entire thing is made of snow, including the bar.

Big Buddha in Aomori City

Miss Veedol Beach in Misawa

Kabushima (Seagull Island) in Hachinohe

Driving through the Hakkodas

The Golden Line when it officially opens again in April.

The shrine at Big Buddha

Children's Day carp in Kitakami

Hirosaki Castle during cherry blossom season

Towada City Art Museum

Karumai Tulip Festival

So there you have it. That's our first year, and it's been a wild one. I cannot wait to see where the next two will take us. Oh the places you will go...

No comments:

Post a Comment