Sunday, July 13, 2014

Happy Japanniversary!

Living it up in northern Japan - no questions, no life jackets, no worries...


It's hard to believe another year has passed, and even more amazing is how much one year can really change everything. As you may recall, or if you speak to me on a semi-regular basis, year one was rough. I was missing my friends, my career, and the comforts of the states.




Then, something just...happened. Suddenly everything didn't seem so bad. In fact, everything seemed amazing. Here I am, young, able-bodied, actually living in a foreign country, and what I am doing about it? Nothing. Starting last August, I decided to make this year count. To see everything, truly see it, and allow myself to get lost in my surroundings.

Explore.



Akita Kanto Festival in August

And explore I did. I found likeminded people, as willing and eager to travel as me. At the end of August, I traveled to Bali with a good friend. We had a blast taking in the local culture, petting the monkeys in the Monkey Forest, and day drinking at the beach.




When we returned, Mark and I spent a lot of time on the water. When your house isn't air conditioned, you might as well just be outside.


Jackson at Lake Towada
Big Buddha during Obon, one of the major Japanese holidays

And as the summer cooled off, and fall started, my parents arrived. We got to show them a bit of our world as the leaves slowly started to change color and reveal the most beautiful season in Japan.

Osorezan, a major holy site

Trying to get the hang of chopsticks at CoCo's Curry

After they left, the festival season was pretty much over. Though I did get to face my fears and catch a salmon with my bare hands at the Rokkasho Salmon Festival.




Since Mark was gone for Thanksgiving, I spent it with friends.


With sweet potatoes as big as your head.


To celebrate his return, we spent Christmas in Tokyo. It was our first official visit, and our virgin Robot Cafe venture.


Inside Tokyo Tower

Robot Cafe, the best place in Tokyo

Since winter was in full swing by that point, we spent pretty much every weekend on the slopes.


We weren't the only ones loving the snow

Before Mark left on deployment, we had one last hoorah in Thailand, the coolest country I never even thought I would want to visit.








And pretty soon spring came in hot and heavy, with more flower festivals than you can even count.


Yabusame Festival in Towada-shi

Azaleas in Shichinohe
Nanohana in Yokohama

In May, my baby brother came to visit, so I met him in Tokyo.


Senso-ji Temple in Tokyo
Shibuya Crossing - the busiest intersection in the world
Yoyogi Park on a Sunday

After spending a few days in the city, I took him up north, and used it as an opportunity to go all the places I hadn't been yet.


Feeding the wild horses of Cape Shiriya

Feeling so small in the big world at the Hotokegauara Cliffs
Getting spiritual in the land of 100 torii gates

Just when things seemed like they were about to slow down, I traveled to Cambodia.


Banteay Srei, the temple of women
Ta Phrom

And on a whim, we added Vietnam to the trip.

Looking like locals in Hoi An

The Halong Bay

Thankfully, I got back to Japan for 4th of July. We celebrated with chu his, fireworks, and camping in Fukaura.




The dogs got to come with


And before I knew it, year two was over, with my heart and my passport more full than the previous year. Cheers to year two, bigger and better than year one. Here's to hoping year three, the final year, can keep up!

No comments:

Post a Comment