Monday, August 6, 2012

The Adventures Of Skype

I downloaded Skype years ago and never saw much use for it when I could just call someone on my cellphone. And then I moved to a foreign country. Now it's the only way that I can call anyone back home for free. After using Skype exclusively for almost a month now, there are some things that happen in just about every conversation.


The Five Minutes of Hello:

This is the beginning of the call where both parties repeatedly say, "Hello? Hello? Can you hear me? I can hear you, can you hear me? Hello?" This goes on for several minutes because no one shuts up long enough to hear a response. It's a free service, so it lags. Can't complain about free.


The Geeked Out Face:

Every time you connect with someone, they always have this look of sheer joy, tinged with "oh my god I can't believe this actually works!" I call this the geeked out face. And it happens to everyone, regardless of how many Skype conversations he/she has had in his/her life. This is usually followed by some enthusiastic hand waving. If there is more than one person in the room, this is also the point that everyone either: a.) rushes in front of the camera or b.) the call "originator" pans the device across the room so you may see your audience.

The Blair Witch Project:

At some point in the conversation, you have to move, which means carrying the device with you. And it always looks like "The Blair Project" if it had been cast in a living room instead of a forest. If you have a particularly awesome Skype partner, they may indulge you with a few lines from the movie. I smell a trilogy...

The I Gotta Go:

If you're talking to someone for a longer period of time, you will inevitably have to go to the bathroom at some point. With a phone, this is easy to mask with a mute button during a friend's long story about some dude who may or may not like her.

"But, Sarah, I'm a lady. I never go to the bathroom while I'm on the phone."

Not only are you delusional in thinking I can't tell, you're also a liar and everyone knows it, so just admit it, okay?

So this is what happens.

I will not say who did this, to protect the innocent, but thank you for: 1.) turning the camera the other way and 2.) trusting my friendship enough to do this. Probably not one of your better choices, but I love you more for it.

So that being said, Skype is a lot of fun and I love waking up or going to bed with the image of your face...or bathroom burned into my retinas. If you haven't downloaded Skype yet, which I don't know why you haven't because I would love to make sweet screenshots such as the one above with you. It's fun and FREE! Skype with you soon!

2 comments:

  1. I, personally, have NO qualms about going to the bathroom on the phone. If I am on the phone with someone THAT long, they can go ahead and HEAR me pee... even if it's customer service with GCI

    ReplyDelete