Sunday, September 30, 2012

I Don't Bake

I never bake. My house never has cookies, cakes...anything lacking protein, really. But I love sweets. Honestly, what girl doesn't?

The thing is I always wanted to be that girl that brought cookies into the office. Everyone likes that person. And I really like making people happy.

Tonight I found out exactly why I'm not that person.

I took a day trip to Sendai this weekend, which is another story in itself. Obviously now having Jackson, taking trips is a little more difficult. Thankfully, my boss agreed to take care of him for the day, so we dropped him off the night before and went on our way.

When we picked him up, she showed us all the new tricks she taught him while we were gone. She also told us he woke her up at 4:30 in the morning.

I got home and knew I had to do something for her. Granted it was only a day, but asking someone to care for a 3 month old puppy is a whole different beast, so to speak. So I hit up Pinterest in search of something to bake and bring to work for her on Monday.

I found it - Fudgy Brownie Cookies. They looked wickedly easy, always a must on my list, and chocolate is usually a safe bet.

How could I not make these? Photo credit to tastykitchen.com

So I gathered all the ingredients and began. The batter was super thick and hard to get off the mixer. Well, I guess this a good time to "test." Ah, yes, just as I suspected, these are great!

After chilling the dough for the required two hours, which was kind of frustrating for someone who's impatient like myself, I scooped out the cookies on the sheet.

Two things about the size of my cookies:
1. I hate small cookies. If I want small cookies, I'll have a sleeve of Oreos.
2. There is a positive correlation between cookie size and batch number. The closer to the end of production, the bigger the cookie. Again, impatient.

The first batch is done and looking great! I let them cool and give one to Mark to "test." Thumbs up. Though sometimes he lies to spare my feelings, so I should probably try one myself. Yep, these are good, just like the batter.

I start the second batch and get to that awkward point to where there's not enough dough to make another cookie, but you can't add them to the others because then they're just too big. Well, looks like I'll have to take one for the team and just finish that.

When I'm all done, I look back at the recipe. How the hell are you supposed to get 24 cookies? I have 15. Oh that's right, I ate half the damn thing.

And that, my friends, is why I never bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment