Sunday, August 12, 2012

Let's Eat!

There is a love/hate relationship of the Japanese grocery stores. Love it for all the crazy offerings that you won't find anywhere else. Hate it because you never know quite exactly what you are putting in your mouth. Grocery shopping roulette.

So, I have developed a system. Every time I go shopping, I get at least one "weird" thing to test. Sometimes more if I get really wild. Below you will find today's collection.


The first offering:


Salty Watermelon  Pepsi 

If your first inclination is to scrunch your nose in a look of disgust and confusion, you are not alone my friend. Someone from the HR Department pulled this baby out at a work birthday party. And my initial thought was, "Effing nasty." He offered up samples to everyone, so I said, "What the hell, why not?" and threw it back. Verdict: it's amazing. In one small swallow, I was immediately transported back to my childhood, sitting on the table, watching my dad heavily salt a gigantic watermelon slice. The odd thing about this is the "Pepsi" taste. I had never realized that Pepsi had such a trademark taste, but it does and it was right there greeting me in melon form.

The second offering:

Georgia Original Coffee from Coca-Cola

Georgia brand coffee is made by Coca-Cola Japan. Upon researching, I found it was launched in 1975 and is the most popular brand of coffee-flavored beverages. So popular that in 2007 its sales were double that of normal Coca-Cola. As a daily consumer of this delicious concoction, I'm not surprised. This stuff is probably more addicting than heroin. I once drank one at 10 p.m. because I was craving it. I don't know what special, addictive substance is in this, but it is definitely more than caffeine. Apparently in 2009, they began selling it in the United States, primarily at restaurants. Sidenote: If you do find Georgia coffee, or any Japanese beverages, it is very important to shake the can before drinking. Trust me on that.

The third offering:


Yoo drink by Itoen

Judging by the picture, this is probably for children...whatever, close enough. It also has 1,000 something, and if I were a betting woman, which I am, I would think it may have to do with calcium amount since the liquid is milky white. Down the hatch. It sort of tastes like melted sherbet, if it had been mixed with skim milk. Upon researching, I have found that it is actually called Morning Yogurt (explaining why that sun is in the corner) or Morning Yoo and it is a fermented milk drink. While it was okay, I'll probably never buy it again, though I can see why it would be a hit with the kids.

The fourth offering:

Kasugai Strawberry Gummy Candy

When I picked these up, I got a little excited. I could tell they would be chewy and gummy like those Farley Fruit Snacks. There were a multitude of favors: apple, mango, kiwi, grape, and strawberry. I'm a strawberry kind of girl. Into the cart they go. I barely got through the door before I opened the bag, which was literally telling me to "please have a fun time with this strawberry gummy candy." Don't have to tell me twice. I ripped open the bag, and that's when the disappointment hit.


Who the hell individually wraps gummy candy?! I do not find it "fun" to sit and unwrap each morsel. If I wanted to do that, I would have bought peanuts. Then it occurs to me that maybe this is how the Japanese stay so thin. They can have just one of these and be satiated. Not this American. I wanted to plow through the bag like a bulldozer taking down a hundred year old forest. These wrappers are the tree-hugging hippie of my demolition. Anger stewing, I unwrap a treat. Yes, these are delicious. Maybe the wrappers were a good idea because I only ate a few and was very content. Damn you, wrapper hippie.

Overall, I would call this little shopping venture a success. Now, you'll have to excuse me, I need to find myself a Georgia coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment